Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weekend



My weekend was really busy and fun. My weekend started on Thursday, and i drove into the city, bought new shoes from the local mall, that i could wear during the winter without having the pleasure to amputate my legs due to hypothermia. And then i drove to my favorite record shop, called "Levykauppa x" or Record shop x. 
The selection here is really good, anything from raw black metal to rock

I took my time, and bought two albums: 


The first one is Krisiun's newest album called "The great execution" and it's a great piece of Death metal, i'll do a through review of Krisiun in the future, for those not aware of them. The second one should need no introductions, "Iron maiden - Killers" Bought it because it was really cheap and i didn't have it in my collection... So far.

After that, and a cup of coffee, i headed for the same ol' venue, Devin Townsend project was playing that night, and i had tickets for it, so in i went.

Opening act for Devin was Fear Factory, they are an American industrial metal band, and a band that i don't really like at all,  i don't like they're drum sound on records (among other things) but thankfully they did not have that drum sound live. In most cases, even if i don't listen to the band at all, i still enjoy seeing them live, as the atmosphere is way different, and i'm not so damn picky that i would leave the venue just so i didn't have to listen to the music, plus, the trick to get awesome places at the venue i attend (Front row again) is to go there during or even before the opening act for the main band, then you can basically just walk to the front row, which is quite impossible during the main act. Watched through them and they were an okay band for the warm up act, not a band that i would go see alone but as an opening act they were sufficient.



Fear Factory.


The first thing i hear, and soon saw, was the fact that Dino (GTR) utilized seven and eight stringed guitars, it wasn't too hard to recognize the superbly low growling of your basic 7 string. He switched between two guitars, both Ibanez, the other one was a 7 stringer and the other was an 8.
Pittsburgh penguin fan are we? (Left leg)



Fear Factory played for about 50 minutes, and after that begun without a doubt, the most amusing soundcheck i have ever seen.




Behind Fear Factory's logo curtain, there was a huge white screen, that had all these hilarious images about Devin projected on it, there's a few of them:



And 5 minutes of the Badger gif, too, with full audio. Laughs were had.

Badger Badger Badger
As one should expect from a band as popular as DTP, the whole venue was filled, every last corner had someone standing in it, and i must say that it was one of the most energetic live shows i have seen, with the exception of Dimmu Borgir.  
That's about 1/4 of the whole crowd.
DTP played for about 1h40 mins, and all i can say is that Devin has an awesome sense of humor, he was constantly saying stuff like "Actually we are quite the romantics, with our pub bellies and small dicks" or "..And we fucking love this guy, we love his attitude and we love his incredibly unpronounceable last name... Ryan Van Poederooye"  and overall, proved to be an excellent showman.

D:

Devin Townsend project.




Yes, Devin, you.
After the show i even got to shake Devin's hand, and that concluded my day.

I had a couple of friends over for Friday - Sunday, we went trough this western trilogy, (El Mariachi, Desperado & Once upon a time in Mexico) The first one was really, really bad, and the two others were superb.




We ate tortillas, and drank Mexican beer, for that kind of became the theme of our weekend.




I have this "small" project to learn the vocals and the guitar parts of Wintersun's "Sadness and hate", i'v learned about 1/4 of the song on guitar, and it's a blast to play. Not my favorite song by Wintersun (as if they have a bad song) But this one doesn't contain any basic Jari Mäenpää sweep solos, which i obviously can't play....

The lyrics are damn amazing, and even sad:

Sad night, the weeper of starwind sky
Take me where the shimmering lights are fading out
Through the shadows of hate and through the fires of grace
I followed the voice in the night, beautiful as black sky,
But nothing I found

My thoughts are captured by the magical chants
Of the spirits, but I cannot see them with these dead eyes
Lost I am in these dismal dreams
Lost I am forever in my life

The snow is falling on the withering leaves, I am left in the cold
The shadows are crying in the moonlight
Is this night the last of my life

Have we arrived from our journey, I must ask you now
At last I can cry, 'cause these sad words are calling me tonight
My eyes bleed for you my star, my pride and the love of my heart
But why did you had to fly so far, I raged and it tore me apart
I promise to you with sadness and hate
Wherever I might go, you will know...

I give my life to the withering leaves
To the bleeding moonlight
To the crying shadows
I GIVE MY LIFE TO YOU



And there's the guitar parts i have gotten down so far....

If you are a melodeath fan and haven't for some reasons that are beyond me heard of Wintersun, i suggest that you get your hands on the closest Wintersun album by any means necessary. Any album will do, as Wintersun has never made a bad song in my opinnion. Anyways, here's "Sadness and Hate"





That's it for today...





No comments:

Post a Comment